Obituaries: 2015

Dr. Frank Greiner 

Dec. 10, 1954 - May 1, 2015 Frank Greiner, a radiologist at the University of South Alabama Hospital died Friday, May 1, of complications from spinal cord surgery.

Frank (Francis) was born in San Antonio Texas on Dec 10, 1954 to Bill and Dolores Greiner. He spent much of his boyhood in New Mexico, a good part of it on the Navajo Reservation.

When he was about 12 he and his father climbed up one of the mesas at Chaco Canyon. Although the rangers said nothing was on top of the mesa, they were curious as to why there were ancient handholds going up the cliff face. Once there, they wandered around and looked at some unexcavated ruins before coming back down. You could do those things in those days.

Later on, they learned this was the area where the famous "Sun Dagger" calendar was found. That story is an example of the curiosity that stayed with him into his adult life. Frank was a good athlete in his youth, serving as defensive captain of the football team, catcher on an all-star baseball team, and a wrestler.

Frank was a good basketball and tennis player, and while in Medical school coached the women's basketball team to an intramural championship. One of his coaching slogans was "They really ought to give you six fouls, because sometimes you hit someone by mistake."

His academic gifts and interest in science led him to attend New Mexico Tech in Socorro. He graduated with honors in three years while working on the grounds crew. At nineteen he found himself as a graduate assistant teaching chemistry at Purdue. That didn't suit him, and he quit school to join the Army. Frank was stationed at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, a swampy area in Maryland. His responsibilities were insect and poisonous snake control. He had a funny story about some frightened soldiers that came across a snake in the road. They bayoneted it several times, and then ran over it with an Abrams tank to make sure it was dead. The skin was then brought to him for identification, but was in such terrible condition that he couldn't identify the snake. That didn't keep his C.O. from telling him he wasn't doing his job.

After the Army, Frank earned a Master's in Chemistry from the University of Delaware, and then was accepted into Medical College of Virginia, where he received his M.D. degree in 1984. One of his classmates recalled Frank's irascible nature. There was an oral final in surgery, each student going individually before a board of surgeons to answer questions. The classmate remembered that Frank's non-conventional but correct answers made the examiners so angry that they took it out on him when he followed Frank into the exam. Frank received advanced training in Buffalo New York and Albuquerque New Mexico before settling in Mobile, where he was a radiologist and a staff member at the University of South Alabama Medical School.

His background in science gave him a deep understanding of MRI technology, and he became a specialist in this area. He also served as an interventional radiologist, which required reading radiological images while performing a surgical procedure. As a physician, radiologist, researcher, and teacher he was well-regarded, having won several distinguished teacher awards. He paid attention to detail, kept learning his entire life, was unafraid to speak out when necessary, and always kept patient care at the top of the list.

Frank loved music from Brahms to the Bangles, and was an accomplished chess player, having once been Alabama state chess champion. He gave to AmeriCare and the Waterfront Rescue Mission. He was a member of a top-flight bar trivia team and loved "Talk Like a Pirate Day." Frank took in stray cats, and practically memorized several off-beat movies, including the "Trinity" westerns and "My Name is Nobody." He had a wicked, dry, and occasionally bizarre sense of humor, and enjoyed riling people up, particularly those in positions of authority.

Frank is survived by his mother Dolores, siblings Tony (Mary), John, and Ann (Van) Hadaway, and a robust extended family. His legacy includes the care he provided to thousands of patients and the training and guidance he gave to hundreds of practicing radiologists. They came to him as students, and left as colleagues. Remember Frank by embracing the chance to have fun, paying attention to detail, striving for excellence, and caring for those who need help.

Tony, Frank’s brother, shared remembrances with us regarding Frank and New Mexico Tech.

Frank loved Tech.  When he attended, there were peacocks roaming the campus, campus dogs, and a fair number of Vietnam Veterans who had practical experience in explosives.  That experience sometimes led to overly aggressive chemistry "experiments" involving home-made cannons and similar devices.  He loved the first hole of the El Fuego Baca golf tournament, and the rough-and-tumble treatment of the Freshmen class at 49er Days.  He got to try many things, and even had a small part in a theater department production of "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner. 

Some years after his graduation, I was passing through Socorro and decided to see the campus where my brother went to school. I stopped at a local tienda and asked for directions to the college. "College?" said the college-aged man staffing the counter, “There's no college here."  "Yes there is, New Mexico Tech."  "Oh, TECH" he said, "yes, well we do have Tech." Frank loved that story.  In later years he regretted the smoothing of some of Tech's rough edges, and the disappearance of the peacocks, but he continued to be proud of his alma mater.


Dr. Colin Timothy Buckley, M.D., Ph.D.

Colin Timothy Buckley, M.D., Ph.D., 43, died unexpectedly January 25, 2015.

Colin was born on May 19, 1971, in Seattle, to Virginia and Patrick Buckley. He was the second-oldest of eight siblings in a large, blended family. Though his early childhood was spent in Seattle and in Kansas City, Mo., he grew up primarily in Socorro and Sacramento, Calif.

A genuine life-long learner, Colin dedicated his adult life to a long and distinguished academic career. He earned a bachelor’s in 1994 in general studies and a master’s in chemistry in 1998, both at New Mexico Tech. He then earned his doctoral and medical degrees at the University of New Mexico.

As a resident in dermatology, he distinguished himself for surgical skill as well as attentive and sympathetic care for his patients. While in medical school, Colin helped to found Life Biosciences, an Albuquerque-based biotechnology firm. Despite his academic and professional obligations, Colin maintained an enthusiastic interest in physical fitness, especially through football, rugby, and weightlifting.

Most importantly, Colin was a loving husband and father. His greatest happiness and deepest devotion dwelled in Pamela, his wife of 16 years, and his sons, Alexander, Christopher, and Thomas. He is also survived by his mother, Virginia Derlet; his father, Patrick Buckley; his stepmother, Jill Buckley; two brothers, five sisters, and nine nephews and nieces.

Funeral services were Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 at Heights First Church of the Nazarene, in Albuquerque. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the UNM School of Medicine Scholarship Fund, www.unmfund.org/fund/som-scholarship-fund/ or to the charity of your choice.


Ruth Ann Duggan

After a wonderful life with husband David and daughter Erin, God has called Ruth Ann (Aerts) Duggan to the end of her 55 year earthly journey.

Ruth is survived by parents Robert Sr. and Velma Aerts, siblings Robert Jr. Aerts and wife Sandra, Elizabeth Aerts, Christopher Aerts and wife Geri, Phillip Aerts and wife Paula, Annette Blackwell and husband Thad, and numerous nieces and nephews.

Ruth was preceded in death by a sister, Mary Aerts.

Ruth was the Brown Award winner in 1981, when she earned her bachelor’s in physics at New Mexico Tech. Although she never pursued additional formal education, her education at Tech served her well in her career at Sandia National Laboratories, allowing her to compete well with the myriad of master’s and Ph.D’s. on staff there. She was active in recruiting fairs on behalf of Sandia down at New Mexico Tech, having a hand in getting a number of talented Techies to start their careers at Sandia.

Her career of 24 years at Sandia National Laboratories was spent developing security analysis methodologies including Physical, Information, Border, Cooperative Monitoring, Nuclear Non-Proliferation Verification, and Insider. Her last years were spent teaching international nuclear security at various locations around the globe. She had the privilege to visit over 29 international locations during her life.

Ruth was an active member of Our Lady of the Assumption Parish and volunteered on many levels from teaching Religious Education Classes to serving on Parish and School councils.

Her passions include astronomy, old books, genealogy, crocheting, and going out to a movie. Her greatest joy came from time spent family and friends while entertaining at home or traveling all over the United States, especially when playing games, scrapbooking, and assembling jigsaw puzzles.

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation or endowment to the Roadrunner Food Bank.


Adam Mark Goswick

Adam Mark Goswick, 31, passed away Thursday, October 9, 2014. Adam was born April 6, 1983 in Fort Smith, Ark. His family moved to Topeka, Kan., when he was 18 months old, and then to Amarillo, Texas, when he was four years old. Adam was seven when they finally settled in Albuquerque.

He became a Cub Scout, following in his brother's footsteps. He followed that path all the way to his Eagle Scout Award when he was only 14. Adam was an active and enthusiastic member of the Covenant Presbyterian Youth Group throughout middle and high school, participating in several mission trips to such exotic locations as Mount Pleasant, Utah, Estes Park, Colo., and Deming, N.M. His travels as a Boy Scout took him on a Philmont trek, a sailboat cruise at Florida Sea Base, and a bicycle hike in Moab, Utah.

Adam began work as a busser at Garduno's at the age of 15. Although he was ready to quit after the first day, his parents persuaded him to give it three weeks. He stayed more than 10 years, through high school and college, working as a bartender for the last several years. He graduated from La Cueva High School in 2001.

Adam was a proud graduate of New Mexico Tech where he received his bachelor’s in mechanical engineering and felt himself forever a “Techie.” He worked for two years for Applied Industrial Technologies in Denver before feeling drawn back to Albuquerque. At the time of his death he was working at Lucky 66 Bowl while searching for a full-time engineering position.

Adam is survived by his parents, Dennes and Ann; brother, Sam, and sister-in-law, Raven; and his two beloved cats, Monkey and Peanut. Memorial services were October 13, 2014, at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 9315 Candelaria Rd. NE, 87112.


Richard Deubel

Richard J. Deubel, 65, of Edgewood, N.M., died January 4, 2015, surrounded by his loving family and friends following a brief illness.

He is survived by his sons, Jesse Deubel and wife, Lisa, Rory Deubel and wife, Lindsey, and his daughter Ashlee Deubel; his mother, Martha; grandchildren, Tamara, Nikole, Stephen, Vaden, Drake, Quenten, Avery and Stormy; brother, Christian Deubel and wife, Irene; ex-wife, Kathy; his partner, Ellen Coplen; and countless friends and family members, including his great grandchildren, Kailub and Kaiden.

Richard earned his bachelor’s in biology from New Mexico Tech in 1972. He retired from the New Mexico State Engineer’s Office and then began his own water rights consultation business. He was a passionate outdoorsman enjoying fishing, bow hunting, boating, camping, back packing, mountain climbing and much more. Richard was also a huge blues music fan and rarely missed a blues festival.

Richard was an avid Harley Davidson enthusiast, traveling through Alaska, Mexico, across Canada and to Sturgis. He was a loving son, father and grandfather, "He was the greatest father ever."