49ers Celebration Adds Cake Decorating Contest.

SOCORRO, N.M. October 6, 2014 – New Mexico Tech is hosting a special cake-decorating contest during 49ers to help mark the 125th anniversary of the university.

Auxiliary Services is sponsoring the event, with $1,000 of prize money for the top three cakes. Anyone on campus is invited to participate.

Contestants must register by Friday, Oct. 10, at http://bit.ly/1ElEFoI, by calling 835-5050 or visiting Auxiliary Services on the second floor of the Fidel Center. Then, just bring your fully decorated cake to the Fidel Center on Thursday, Oct. 16. The winner will get $500, with second and third place earning $300 and $200 respectively. Also, the first 15 entrants will receive a commemorative 125th anniversary apron.

The annual 49ers Celebration – Tech’s homecoming weekend – kicks off Wednesday, Oct. 15, with special evening events. Festivities continue throughout the weekend, Oct. 16 to 19. Special events include the ‘M’ Mountain Run on Friday morning, alumni gatherings, student events, the parade on Saturday and much more.

For the complete schedule, see www.nmt.edu/nmt-calendar.

NMT 125th Anniversary 49ers Celebration

Cake Decorating Contest Rules


1. All participants must register by Friday October 10th at 5:00pm.

2. All entries must be displayed by 1:40pm on Thursday October 16th, 2014. Judging will begin at 2:00pm.

3. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, workmanship and degree of difficulty (25%) application of NMT 125th Anniversary theme (25%) and overall appearance (50%)

4. The decisions of the judges are FINAL. Judges may not enter any division.

5. Cake base is to be no larger than 20” X 20”. Maximum display area is 24”. Tables will be provided.

6. All sculpted cake entries must be made of at least 60% real cake. Sculpted cakes and all decorations must be edible. Only cake boards and any necessary supports are allowed for inedible items.

7. No electricity, generators, running water, fog, bubbles or flammable items are allowed in displays. Cakes must be removed from their baking pans. Tiered cakes are welcome.

8. Cake will not be consumed during judging. Winning cakes will be kept for display. All other cakes may be taken home by the owner or donated to a cake walk immediately following announcement of the winners.

Cake Walk - Participants walk around the path in time to music, which plays for a duration and then stops. A number is then called out, and the person standing on the square with that number wins a cake as a prize.

-- NMT --